Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Amazing American Avocet

I felt really sad when I found out that B.C. doesn't have an endangered species law, because I love animals! So that's why I created this painting of the American Avocet. The American Avocet lives in shallow fresh and salt water wetlands, mainly in B.C. and a few places in the United States. This bird is threatened because of human activity and limited nesting space. In my painting, you see the bird on the left is sad because the environment is dirty and dark. And that is starting to happen now and will get worse if we don't fix it. In the middle, the bird is flying into a better world - away from BC. On the right, the bird is happy because its surroundings are clean, healthy and bright, the way they should be. There are over 1900 species in B.C. that are at risk! I hope that my artwork will inspire people and make them aware of this too.

Katrina, Grade 9

No comments:

Post a Comment