Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Power of a Dragon.

I chose Chinese culture for my project because millions of families resort to abortion and infanticide to make sure their child is a boy (world news msnbc.com). The traditional thinking is best described in the ancient book of songs 1000-700 b.c. 'When a son is born, Let him sleep on the bed, Clothe him with fine clothes, And give him jade to play...When a daughter is born, Let her sleep on the ground, Wrap her in common wrappings, And give broken tiles to play.' So, for my artwork, I painted a dragon with a girl holding it up. I drew this because the symbolism in my artwork is that "one girl can have the power of a dragon."

- Laura, Grade 9

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea. And you communicate it very effectively. I think you would enjoy "The Joy Luck Club" - especially the stories of the four mothers and the challenges they faced growing up in China.

    ReplyDelete